Monday, October 27, 2008

Flying Pants, K.Y., and Fashion Atrocities

Today was another linen exchange day, which means that ten more days have passed. Time moves so quickly! Being linen day, I hung my futon out on the balcony to air out. I just think it’s good to let the mattress see some sun. It was windy, though, and my blanket blew off the railing, but luckily stayed on the balcony. My friend Brian, though, didn’t fare so well; he had some pants out to dry that blew off his balcony and onto the dorm roof. He had to get Otōsan to use this big pole with a hook on the end to fish them down. Pretty funny, I think. But that’s just because it didn’t happen to me. ^_^

We got our midterm exams back in my Japanese classes today; I got As on both of them, although I didn’t do as well as I had expected on the written part of the speaking exam. But I did really, really well on the spoken part, so that was really exciting.

Today I had lunch with Lou, Zach, Ann (the girl who looks like Corinne), and two friends of Lou’s whom I hadn’t met before. It was nice to meet the new people, whose names I don’t remember, but one is from Costa Rica and the other Nicaragua. They were really nice. One of the Americans who will remain anonymous, though, was a bit kūki yomenai, so that wasn’t fun. They kept awkwardly bringing up this date they had and basically spent a good deal of time insulting the whole Japanese system of learning English. Uncomfortable, but oh well.

That phrase, kūki yomenai—I don’t think I’ve explained it, but it’s very useful. It literally means “can’t read the air,” which means that you can’t tell that you’re making other people uncomfortable. So let’s say someone on a bus is telling a rambling, inappropriate story that goes on for ages in a voice that’s a little too loud. The people around Awkward Person might whisper to one another, “K. Y.,” short for kūki yomenai to basically mean, “Well, this is awkward, isn’t it?”

Today was actually a bit chilly with the wind, so I bought a chai latte after lunch to drink while studying and was actually fairly disappointed with it. I dunno, it was too much latte and not enough chai. But I bought some chai the other day at the grocery, so that might be nice to have when it gets really cold. I won’t be spending any more money on lousy chai lattes from the Seattle’s Best on campus, though.

Oh, I finally did it. I’m so ashamed. I bought leggings. ::facepalm:: I do not like leggings; I think they’re just awkward unless you’re Robin Hood or something. And Tim Gunn agrees with me; check out that episode of Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style from last season, when he shrieks when a woman wears leggings. Now, I suppose I can understand the need to wear them under sweater dresses and stuff. But if you just made the dresses dress-length instead of questionably short, there’d be no reason for the leggings! I don’t quite get it. But still, I don’t have many winter clothes here and it’s starting to get to be jacket and long pants weather, so I decided it was time to make the dreaded purchase. I am now the un-proud owner of a pair of black leggings that come down to my mid-calf, and I wore them today under my jeans skirt. One thing I will say that’s good about them, though: it’s nice not to have to worry about flashing everyone while riding a bike in a skirt.

Tomorrow I have my midterm exam in Film and Fiction, as well as a short presentation during our class debate in Asian Psychologies. Both should go fairly well.

No comments: