They had warned us that there would be some possible Internet interruptions today, but that was an understatement. You couldn’t use the school-provided computers at all, nor could you access the Web from your own computer. How bothersome! I even missed a Skype date with David because of it.
It was kinda funny, though, how much people were freaking out about not having Internet access. It was the discussion topic of the day, really. My generation honestly and truly feels lost without our Internet. It’s how we connect with each other, so it’s really scary when you can’t contact someone online at will. Plus, today was a holiday so there were no classes and everyone was planning on doing their homework today, so that created a few problems. I, for one, felt like I was living in a cave, although the homework thing was fine for me.
For lunch today I made my first successful okonomiyaki! It still wasn’t as good as the stuff you get a Sachi, but at least this was edible. Next time I think I need to add a little more flour and cabbage, and to cook it a bit longer. Overall, though, it was very good. It helps when you have the proper sauce and spices to put on top.
Early in the afternoon I did my reading for Japan in Western Film and Lit for next week, which was a really interesting analysis of 1910s silent films, the rape fantasy, and Asian cultures. It was fascinating. Tomorrow in class we’re going to be watching a 1915 DeMille film called The Cheat, in which a white American socialite gets too close to this highly questionable Japanese guy, who ends up branding her with a poker, causing basically a lynch mob. Interesting. We shall see.
I went on a quick excursion to the QQ and Top World for some grocery shopping. I’ve got a few different meal options now, so it’s nice to have a regular rotation and know what kinds of supplies I’ll need. I can make the following things very easily and regularly: egg sandwiches, grilled cheese, pizza toast, curry rice, potstickers, hash browns, pancakes, and okonomiyaki. Supper tonight was beef curry rice and hash browns.
I took a nap today and had a really weird dream. I was doing some sightseeing and came across this old paddlewheeler that had just been discovered with all these beautifully preserved 19th century murals on the walls. Then it was snowing and I was in a park, and I was accompanied by two mannequins. To prevent crime, the park system had bought these robot people who walked around the park. You could have one follow you, so it would look to a potential mugger from far away like you weren’t alone. Good idea, really, huh? And then there was the part of the dream where I—but I wasn’t really me, but it was—was watching this boxing/extreme fighting/WWE match type thing here in Japan. Appropriately strange for a dream, right? But it gets weirder: I was there on a date with Chuck Norris. I kid you not. In the dream, I was really enjoying watching the fight, but he kept kinda rolling his eyes. I think he thought he could have done better. And then I woke up.
Oh, and I just found out some really disturbing news from Witt. This weekend was Homecoming at Witt, so a bunch of the clubs put together floats for the parade. The GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) float was set on fire. None of the others were damaged. Scary. Really, really scary. Like, I’m really glad I’m in Japan and not on Witt’s campus at the moment. Geez, after last year’s anti-gay graffiti (in sparkly teal paint pen someone wrote “My God sends fags to hell! <3”—heart and all; I have photos—in one of our classroom building’s women’s bathroom stalls), I’m really concerned. Not cool, people. But I guess that’s why GSA is necessary. Honestly, though, I’m a little glad I’m not an officer in the club this semester, because this stuff would NOT be fun to deal with. Anyway, love and miss you, GSA! がんばって!And do be careful. How terrible.
In other news, tomorrow evening they’re showing a recording the most recent presidential debate, and I’m really excited to see it. Another commentary to come!
You know what’s some great music? Dvořák’s Symphony #9 in E minor. David introduced it to me, and it’s awesome. Check it out some time.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment