Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Post about Nothing!

Today was so uneventful that I actually almost forgot to blog.

Got up late, Skyped and IMed with people, made some curry for lunch, cleaned the room, napped, made supper, showered, studied. That's about it. It was really rainy and dreary today, so everyone who could stayed inside. It was a pajama type day.

Umm, tomorrow I have my writing test using the square paper. I think it should go well. Also, in the evening, they're showing a broadcast of the VP debate on campus, so I'll go see that. And that's about all.

Oh, a few other things I've been meaning to mention:

  • There is kudzu here. Not surprising, considering I had always heard it was introduced from Japan. It's true. Apparently, though, it's not so much of a pest here, and it's even used in some foods. It covers the slopes of riverbanks in the area, mostly.
  • Rather than crows, there are ravens here. They're really big and have raspy voices. Being a Poe fan, I'm always excited to see them.

That's all I've got for today. Wish me luck on a better post tomorrow.

2 comments:

onceuponanever said...

I think that in the event of an uneventful day, you would be forgiven for not posting.

The collective nouns for a group of ravens are storytelling and unkindness. So you will probably at some point see a storytelling of ravens. There is always a murder of crows around my neighborhood, too. I have never seen a tower of giraffes though, nor a convocation of eagles. An implausibility of gnus would be quite implausible, just as a smack of jellyfish would be. A murmuration of starlings is quite common though, as is the occasional parcel of deer.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find a scurry of squirrels. Any further questions may be directed to a parliament of owls, as they sound quite politically astute, and may be able to tell you which collective nouns are acceptable for use. You could probably also ask a culture of bacteria, but since many cultures speak different languages, I wouldn't assume that they speak any language we're familiar with.

KansaiKristen08 said...

Hahaha, Alex, you crack me up.

You know how I'm basically obsessed with that Counting Crows album from like 1993? I think I gave you a copy--at least once. I force it on everyone because I love it.

Anyway, the group's name is called "Counting Crows," which is cool because apparently crows actually do have a sense of number and quantity, which is unusual among birds. But the group has this great song called "A Murder of One." It took me freakin' forever to realize that murder doesn't mean kill in this case, but group! How cool. And in the song's lyrics, they actually count the number of crows they see: "One for sorrow, two for joy; three for girls and four for boys; five for silver, six for gold; seven for a secret that's never been told."

I love it so much.