Monday, December 1, 2008

Why is my nice American bed on the floor?

My writing test this morning went surprisingly well; even though I hadn't really prepared at all, I was able to finish within the time limits. I'm sure I made some silly mistakes, but I was glad to have been able to write for fifty minutes in Japanese. That's pretty cool, I guess.

In Speaking class today we finished watching 結婚シミュレーター (kekkon shimyurētā), or Marriage Simulator. It's a really cute kind of short movie from the late 90s about an engaged couple that gets to use groovy new science to look into their married future. Totally predictable, even in a language I don't understand, but really cute. The ending made me cry, too. But I'm such a sap at this point, I'll cry over anything. It didn't help, too, that I knew that as soon as I got out of class I'd be rushing back to the seminar house for a Skype date with David.

So, I grabbed some McDonald's quickly after class and took it back home, and ate while I talked to David. I miss him so much. I can't wait for January to come so we can be back at Witt together; it'll be the first time since May that we haven't been long distance. ;_; I need a Subway-and-Dirt-Mall date.

Anyway, after lunch, I took a nap. It was a good nap, but I had an unimaginably cruel dream. I dreamt that I was safely home and unpacked and not jet lagged. It seemed so real, too. When I woke up in my futon I was actually really confused about where I was. Dang dreams go messing with my head...

After I had firmly established that I am, in fact, still in Japan and will be for another 18 days (18--that's all!), I decided to go take a walk because the weather was nice today. So I put on my scarf and jacket and took a walk around the neighborhood, which was nice. I like getting some exposure to sunshine, and the fresh air did me good.

For supper tonight I had plain udon and a vegetable croquette. It was the first time I had made udon here, believe it or not; usually I just buy it. It was so-so, but it's dirt cheap, so whatever.

This evening I practiced our new kanji, which are really hard this chapter, and finished my psychology paper about Morita therapy journaling. (That last part is important, because it's due tomorrow. I procrastinate so much.)

Today was a very good day. And now it is time for me to sleep. Hopefully when I wake up this time I'll know what country I'm in.

No comments: