I didn't really do much today. I had my language lab orientation this morning, and received my Japanese placement. I tested into Speaking 3 and Reading/Writing 3, which is right where I should be! The placement test was really hard, so I'm glad I did so well. I had more udon for lunch at the cafeteria, and met another American student. Then I walked to the hyaku-en (dollar) shop and did boring shopping. I also took a nap today, which was great.
This evening was more interesting. I went to a nearby restaurant for supper, then William and I went to the park near our dorm to chill. We were just sitting there, and this super nice family came up to us and struck up a conversation. There was the dad, who owns a liquor store, his nineteen year old son, and his high schooler daughter. She was ADORABLE. Her name is Momoko, and her English was truly fantastic. She spent a month in Tennessee, so she was really interested in learning about Kentucky. She taught us some new words, as well as a Japanese tongue twister (hayaku guchi kotoba?): aka pajama ao pajama ki pajama (red pajamas blue pajamas yellow pajamas!). We talked in English and Japanese for about an hour, and in a few weeks we'll go visit them at their home. It was so nice to have a laid-back conversation like that. I really don't think that's something that would ever happen in America, to go up to some tourists and invite them over for dinner. Very cool.
Words I learned today (if you speak Japanese and any of these are wrong, please let me know!):
saka=hill
joyuu=actress
haiyuu=actor
Kansai-ben: suki yanen=suki desu=I like
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kristen, I am so excited for you! What an exciting adventure. The boys and I loved your reference to Charlie and the observations about the bugs. I'm so glad you're blogging so everyone can here about your travels. Take care and have fun!! Aunt Louise
Post a Comment