Monday, September 8, 2008

Check-In and Karaoke

Today was our official seminar house check-in day, so my extra roommate moved out to be with her host family. Now it's just me and Sally, my roomie from Hong Kong. The room is a lot bigger without the extra person, although I'll miss Jacinthe.

This evening I went out exploring. I found what I thought was a regular restaurant but turned out to be an izakaya. There were two other foreigners there, so I sat with them. Turns out they're Kansai Gaidai alumni who are back for a visit. It was nice talking to them about thing. I had some gyouza and fried eggplant for supper, then went on my way.

I was just taking a walk around the dorm area, when I met up with a big group of Kansai Gaidai students who were going for karaoke. I decided to tag along, and it was a blast. I had never understood why karaoke would be fun before, but I definitely get it now. We paid 1750 yen (about $15) for two hours in a karaoke booth with unlimited drinks. My voice is going to be so hoarse tomorrow. I honestly could not make it all the way through American Pie because my throat hurt so much at that point. It was a total blast, though. Who knew terrible singing, smoky rooms, and cheap drinks could create so much fun?

No comments: