This evening I went out to eat at the little okonomiyaki place around the corner with two other Americans and a Slovak-Brit. After that, I went out to the same karaoke place as before, but with different people. It was a blast, yet again. This time I discovered the most delicious drink ever. It was called a Dragon, and it was basically melon soda with a little bit of alcohol in it. Yum! I also had a Dolphin, which was basically the same thing but with blueberry soda, which I didn't like as much. Kinda funny names for drinks, huh?
And...it just hit me that I'm sleepy. Seeing as it's 1AM here, I guess that's okay. So I'm off to bed.
Oh, but speaking of beds, I should tell you about my futon, since I've been getting some questions about it. Futon is the traditional Japanese bedding. I have one small folding mattress much like a Western exercise mat. On top of that goes a heavy mattress that I sleep on. Then there's a heavy comforter that I sleep under. The pillow has something inside that sounds like beans. It's harder than I'm used to, but not at all uncomfortable. Every day you have to fold up the futon set and put it away in the closet they gave us. The humidity here can really cause some nasty mold and crud to grow under your futon if you don't take care of it! Also, our flooring is tatami, which requires special care. If you don't put the futon away, the floor will kinda start to mold around the bedding and there will be a bed-shaped dent in the floor. :) It's like a fossil record of sleeping! Anyway, I don't think the university wants me to destroy their flooring or bedding, so I try to take care of it. Most days I put it away, but if I'm running late I might leave it out in the morning and put it away when I get home in the late afternoon.
Anyway, it's very, very comfortable. Like I said, harder than my bed at home, but very, very nice. I especially love my heavy comforter. It'll be great in winter. And now I'm off to enjoy my futon. Good night!
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment