Thursday, September 18, 2008

Observations

  • I haven't seen any mixed-breed dogs here. I've seen dachsunds, Akitas, Irish setters, border collies, etc., but no mutts. Interesting. I wonder why. The cats I have seen--although they've all been strays, or at least outdoor cats--have looked like regular American street cats.
  • When you go to the grocery, you bag your own goods. They put your purchases back in your little basket, and give you a plastic bag so you can arrange your own stuff on the provided tables near the exit.
  • I often see liter-sized bottles of water sitting out on street corners or next to lamp posts. I don't know what they're for. Any ideas?
  • Paper comes in sizes different than I'm used to here. I'm not really sure what's standard, and what the different sizes are called. Most of my handouts have been on something slightly bigger than the standard American 8 1/2 x 11.

Typhoon #13 is approaching us. Depending on how bad it is, classes might be cancelled. I have heard that it's supposed to weaken to a tropical depression by the time it reaches Osaka. Still, I went to the grocery today so I can feed myself if the rain gets too bad. I bought a lot of gyoza to fry up. Yummmm.

2 comments:

onceuponanever said...

It's like liquor stores! They all have you bag your own stuff. Remember that one we went to senior year, with my mom? To find stuff for my graduation party? And we there for hours? Good times.

Corinne said...

The paper size here in France is different, too. Ours are longer and a bit narrower, and folders and such are built to take that into account. It's interesting