Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hirakatashi-Eki

Today was a lazy day. I woke up around noon and went to a little hole in the wall restaurant with my friends from the hall. I had something called potato pizza toast, which was, sure enough, pizza on a really thick piece of toast topped with sweet potato. It was delicious! Very cool.

After that I talked to Nikki on Skype, surfed the Web, and napped.

In the evening, six other people and I went down to Hirakatashi-Eki to have some fun. We wandered around forever trying to find an ATM that worked so the others could withdraw some cash. We finally found one at the 7Eleven near City Hall. Afterward, we found a really awesome restaurant on the fifth floor of a building. It's still weird for me to be eating in a tall building. Oh well. The place was AWESOME. I had French fries, gyoza, and basashi. I'm such a bad Kentuckian for that last one--it's horse meat. But it was really delicious, and I liked it much better than some of the other types of sashimi I've had.

We then wandered around the area and found a really nice rooftop bar. It was basically a total ripoff, though. They gave us these little macaroni salads without asking if we wanted it, and then charged us 300yen each for it. There were seven of us, and our bill came to 5520yen--about 50 dollars. Each of us had one drink. Oh well. It just wasn't what I expected.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to the aquarium in Osaka. I can't wait!

2 comments:

onceuponanever said...

OK, cooked horse meat I would understand. But raw horse? I don't think I could bring myself to eat that one. Urgh.

This rooftop bar....was it a beer garden? That term always calls to mind interesting imagery. And the idea of those little gardening stores, but specializing in beer.

KansaiKristen08 said...

The basashi didn't have a lot of taste, to be honest. It was just like eating really rare steak, as far as texture and flavor are concerned.

And yes, actually, the bar was a beer garden. It was just a trendy little bistro type place with half of the roof open, and a few small ficus and stones decorating the place. Very chic.